Monday, August 29, 2016

Fabulous Chalk Paint

I want to share with you a quick and easy way to make a piece of furniture look fabulous. 



My daughter who has twin girls needed something for more storage in the girl’s room.  I remember that we had kept Kristy’s dresser after she married. So, with help from the hubby, we took the dark stained dresser out of storage and soon the fun began. I have a love for painted furniture (chalk painted). If you are not familiar with chalk painted pieces, it has a similar look to milk paint. You can distress the chalk paint to give it an antique look. I like to finish with soft wax over the painted surface.  I also make my own chalk paint. (Cost a lot less)

  To view my chalk paint recipe; click on link below:
You will need:
  • Chalk paint
  • Paint brush
  • Soft Wax
  • Sandpaper (if you want a distressed look)
  • Clean cotton rag
Guys, I got so excited about this project....  I forgot to take a before photo,but I believe you can see from the photos just how dark the piece was. I first removed all the hardware and set aside. Not sure if I would use the old hardware on the piece. Take a clean cloth to wipe clean.
Paint first coat of chalk paint on the piece. Let dry. (I was outside on my deck, so my piece dried very fast) If you are indoors wait 15-20 minutes for the first coat to dry.

 Paint a light second coat. Let dry 30-60 minutes.


 I usually only paint 2 coats but with the dark color and not going to distress I actually painted a third light coat.
Softly sand areas where natural wear would occur if you want a distressed look. (I decided not to distress this piece)
I'm in love with the final  results!

My daughter wanted blue or yellow handles and pulls. We found these at Hobby Lobby. So we got both colors!
 I could spend all day at our Hobby Lobby! Hubby would not be happy with me because I can find way to much to buy....
I hope that I have inspired you to start your own chalk paint project. Would love to see photos of your before and after projects.


No comments:

Post a Comment