Thursday, August 25, 2016

The sky is everywhere

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

"My sister will die over and over again for the rest of my life. Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath. I will never stop grieving Bailey because I will never stop loving her. That's just how it is. Grief and love are conjoined, you don't get one without the other. All I can do is love her, and love the world, emulate her by living with daring spirit and joy."

I connect with the book whole-heartedly. I find the above snip-it to be so incredibly true. I feel like the author is writing about something she knows about. I feel it from her heart. I feel it in my bones.
This one was emotionally hard for me to read. I lost my brother of 16 years, October will be 8 years. He was my best friend. He was such a joy in my life. I understand the character's in this. You will do anything to find a moment's relief. It is consuming. It is your own personal tear-filled hell. 

" I try to fend off the oceanic sadness, but I can't. It's such a colossal effort not to be haunted by what's lost, but to be enchanted by what was."

"I don't know how the heart withstands it"

Me either. But the point of this book I believe is to keep pushing forward. That those we love are not as far away as we think they are. My only complaint with this book, is i do wish there was just a smidgen of sprituality/religion in it. I know it's not for everyone- so i guess i understand her reasonings as to not put it in. I think I'm just a religious person and without Jesus in my life I know my situation would be just about unbearable. But, I have something to believe in. I believe in life after death, heaven. I believe I will be reunited. 
(Don't send me to the chopping block people, it's just my belief and i'm not trying to sway anyone)



Also, don't let this top half of my review fool you. The book is actually fun. And, pretty much lighthearted. It has an uplifting love story that's not cheesy and a cast of characters you will love.
This is definitely in my top 10 of the year. I 100% want everyone to read this. It is beautiful!!






2 comments: