Thursday, July 9, 2015

Seashell Crystals


Well, the goal here was to grow "Crystals" onto the seashells. These have been sitting for about 12 hours now and this is all we have "grown". I am going to let it sit overnight, but I have a feeling this is it........


The face of disappointment..... 


I think we grew more crystals in the pan!!!!


If you want to give this a go, you will need: 

  • Shallow pan
  • seashells
  • 1 cup Borax
  • 9 cups of water (brought to a boil) 


  1. Boil 9 cups water, remove from heat. 
  2. Pour in 1 cup Borax and stir until completely dissolved. 
  3. Pour water mixture into measuring cup or spray bottle (make sure it is not too hot)
  4. Squirt/Pour mixture onto the sea shells in a shallow pan. 
  5. Wait, and wait some more for crystals to form. (we were able to see some crystallization within an hour or so)



For me this was about 2.5 stars out of 5. (there is just not enough crystals for me! I'm wondering how to keep all the liquid on the shells and out of the pan.....
Taylor gave it a 4 out of 5 stars. He enjoyed squirting them, he liked seeing the crystals grow, but like me, wishes there was more crystals on the shells.

We are going to get our thinking caps on and think of something else to try to grow the crystals on.....



No comments:

Post a Comment